Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My concluding thoughts..

Noguera has definitely left his imprint in me in regards to our schooling system. First, he shows me some of the flaws that are often overlooked. Second, he shows me how to value and embrace the diversity of each student. Third, he gives me hope; there is hope to revolutionize the school systems.



Some of the topics Noguera talks about in his book revolve around immigration, failing students, peer-expectations, and lack of unity within a school district. Many of these I knew could affect our schools, but I never really put much thought into it before this book. There are so many external influences and internal influences that hinder our students from succeeding. Many times instead of figuring out the problems that may be occurring, we create assumptions. As teachers, I think that is one of the worst things we can do. We cannot assume a student is lazy. We need to dig deeper, ask questions and reassure the students that everything will work out for the good.


Something that I have noticed, especially now, is the way schools see diversity. Many times it is perceived negatively like "extra work." people have the tendency to blame low test scores on the fact that there are many students who are minorities, ESL students or live in a low socio-economic district. However, that is not a valid reason if enough time and effort are spent on these students. Diversity within our lives bring us closer together; it helps us see the greatness God has placed on this earth. I have received great encouragement from Noguera to embrace these differences and hope that it will last.



Lastly, after reading this book, I feel like I can conquer the world. Really. Lately I have been feeling as if what we do won't make a real difference. But we must remember that everything that we put effort into will not be immediately acknowledged or seen. It takes time; a lot of time. If we dream of revolution, then we must wait for revolution. One person/ state of mind at a time. Noguera reminds me to look beyond myslef and to look at the students. In the future I will know to buidl rapport with my students and also try to learn more about them in order to help them succeed. I should reassure them that race cannot define who they are.  I feel as if Noguera can read my thoughts/feelings and reassures me that I'm in the right place and that I'll be placed at the right place at the right time to make this difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment